The San Francisco office of Pillsbury Winthrop has recently donated to the Hastings Law Library its collection of Deering’s California Codes. Dating back to 1866 when the Bancroft-Whitney Company of San Francisco began publishing the codes in 1866, this collection includes not only the bound volumes, but all of the supplements and pocket parts. These volumes promise to be an invaluable tool for conducting California legislative history research or finding the law exactly as codified in any particular year. These codes find a welcome home at the alma mater of its namesake, James H. Deering. An 1881 Hastings College of the Law graduate, Deering’s accomplishments include not only editing the California Codes, but building the San Francisco Law Library into a nationally recognized institution and rebuilding it after the 1906 earthquake destroyed its collection of 30,000 volumes. This set is shelved in the southwest corner on the Library’s 6th floor (the McAllister Street side nearest Larkin Street). For more on the life of Deering, see James H. Deering Has Crossed the Bar, 46 Law Libr. J. 242 (1953).